Sunday, June 29, 2008

Emma's Cast

I took Emma on Friday to get her cast. I was able to take her to the pediatrician's office, so it was nice to see a familiar face. We love Dr. Whiting, and the nurse used to live in our ward, so it was fun to chat and get caught up.

First, Emma got to pick her color for her cast. The nurse was trying to remember all the colors she had (she mentioned pink) and went to get them to show Emma the colors. When the nurse left to get all the colors, Emma said, "I want pink". She didn't even have to see any other colors, as long as pink was an option.

This is Emma's last picture with her splint and she is showing she is going to get a pink cast.

I was surprised to see that Emma wrist was still swollen where the broken bone was. But the doctor wasn't and preped her for the cast.

Next came the pink cast. I've never had a cast, so it was fun to watch what the doctor did. It was very quick, and didn't seem too painful. The doctor made sure her hand and arm was just where he wanted it.

Here's Emma sporting her new pink cast.

It hasn't been to bad. It is technically allowed to get wet, but it will smell bad if it does, so we've been avoiding that. And Dr. Whiting said it could come off in 3 1/2 or 4 weeks, so that's exciting. Because the cast is not as thick as the splint and does not go above her elbow, we've been able to put her in her regular clothes (she couldn't wear her pj's for a few days). And she doesn't seem to be having any more pain. She mostly wants medicine because it tastes good. Four weeks is doable, and we should be able to bag her arm and run through the sprinklers. We'll just have to go to the pool tons in August.

7 comments:

Missy said...

I've never seen a cast put on before either. And that's Doc Whiting! We loved that office!

The Jackson 3 said...

She looks like a trooper

Miss Pete said...

Pink just makes everything better.

Hopefully we'll get to see you over the 4th. We're coming into town this week. Yea!

Cynthia said...

I'm sure she's excited her pink cast matches her outfit! I love her pose. That one's gonna be a model...

Joe and Julianne said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while!!!! I am so sorry about Emma! You may remember that Joey broke his leg on the tramp. We sure do miss Dr. Whiting!! Emma we LOVE the pink cast and are so glad your arm is doing better.

Sarah said...

Hey Andrea, I'm the middle Rass kid Erik & Elisa's sister. So, Madison did almost the same thing last year, except she fell off a horse and it was the week that school got out, the fun week. She missed swimming lessons that summer too. She got a pink camo cast with sparkles. So I think tough girls pick pink.

The MacMizzles said...

Andrea-Emma is too cute. I am happy to see what a wonderful life you have. :)

Aubrey