Monday, July 07, 2008

4th of July Weekend

We had a busy and mostly fun 4th of July weekend. Mike's boss was "out-of-town", so he worked a lot, and we did a lot without him.

It started on Thursday night. Mike had gone into work earlier, and was able to get off earlier. We met up for dinner with his family at the JCW's in Lehi (by Thanksgiving Point). We had quite the group there with his three sisters, their kids, his parents and us there. His sister Helene and her family were on their way to go camping with Mike's brother's and their families. Mike's other two sisters were planning on going over to "Mike's Hotel" to swim (Mike's parents had a room). Due to Emma's arm, we elected not to go swimming. That night we roasted marshmallows since we couldn't go camping.


Friday morning brought the 4th of July parade on University in Provo. I took the kids, Mike went to work. Mike's mom and her sisters got there early to save us seats. We were in the middle of 8th South. We were nowhere near shade, but there was quite a bit of cloud cover that morning, and it was completely tolerable. The parade was fine. Nothing great, and nothing terrible. Ashton had fun with one of his second cousins cap guns, not to mention I couldn't keep him out of the road. And Emma mostly sat on my lap.



After the parade we made a quick stop at home to get swimming suits and a salad. Then we went to Mike's aunt Colleen's house. She is so good to let us go there. She empties her hot tub and puts cold water in it. She puts out a slip-n-slide, and blow up pools. And then Craig (her husband) got the horses and saddled them up so the kids could ride the horses. The kids had a great time. I bagged Emma's arm so that she could play in the water. I undid it once and had her eat some more food, then bagged it again. Mike was able to come and eat with us, and hang out for a little bit. He probably stayed an hour and a half. We got there about noon, and left at about 4:00. I was ready to go home. Ashton almost feel asleep in the car on the way home, but by the time we were home, he didn't want to sleep. I made him have quite time. Emma and I took a nap though. She slept on the floor in my room, and probably slept 2 hours. I was so glad.




We got up and I started to get dinner ready. Even though we were invited to two neighborhood BBQ's we decided it was best to be home. Mike made it home in time to eat dinner with us. After dinner, I sneaked over to the neighbors to one of the BBQ's. I just didn't bother to come home after that. The kids went in the back yard and then Mike let them come over to me, which was fine, because he had to go back to work. The kids had a great time. They played and we got to watch the neighbors fireworks. We brought over our sparklers and fireworks to share. It was so nice for me since Mike was not home.


Lastly, we headed out with the neighbors to go and see the fireworks here in town. They started just after 9:30 so it wasn't bad. The show wasn't too long, and the kids really enjoyed it. All in all it was a great day.

Saturday brought a busy day too. We had family pictures with Mike's family. He has a brother moving out of state at the end of the month, so it was important that we do family pictures. We meet at the place in Sandy at 12:30. We had coordinated colors, and were ready to go. It took a long time to arrange everyone and then to work to keep all the little kids happy (we had 5 kids that were 2 year old or younger). Then they were nice enough to let families to individual family pictures if they wanted. We were ready to go, then Emma got a drink and got her shirt wet. So, we had to wait to take our family picture (and it kept Mike away from work longer). After pictures, I sent my kids with their uncle over to Kari's new house. We were having a family BBQ as a last hooray! So, the kids went, and Mike went and a few of us stayed to pick the family pictures. I think that took well over an hour. In the end we found two family pictures that were good - except for Court's closed eyes, which we solved with an eye swap (thank you digital pictures). I also found one of my family I liked.

Once done, we went to get lunch/dinner at Kari's house. Mom and dad had prepped Manti Turkey to eat. When I go there, they were ready to dish up. It was delicious. And the kids played really nice. It was a good afternoon. At the end, we watched some home movies set to music that Steve had put together. It was great.



We came home that evening tired. Because we had such a late lunch, I didn't really have dinner, and the kids had a light dinner.


On Sunday I made a stop at Julia's house, to borrow a wet suit and to see her new baby Nathan. What a cutie. He has tons of hair and is such a good baby. I took the kids with me, because Mike was working. When he got off of work we hurried home, ate dinner and then drove to Deer Creek Reservoir. Mike thought it would be good for me to do some open water swimming before my next Triathlon. It was good for me. A little scary but good. The whole family got in the water (I forgot a bag for Emma's arm, but we wrapped it in a trash bag. It was a good weekend, but really busy. Happy Independence Day!!!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Kristin said...

Andrea, you are one of those people that other people compare themselves to and think. . Why can't I do that???? You are a super woman!!!! Work, triathalons, DIY bathrooms, take your kids to parades all by yourself (Tim and I wouldn't do that together much lesss alone). It is a darn good thing you are such a likeable person! :^)