Tuesday, June 03, 2008

St. George Weekend

After I got home from my Conference in Seattle on Wednesday, Mike and I turned around and went to St. George on Friday. Mike always has Monday's off and so for Memorial Day, he had an extra day off, so he decided to take it off on Saturday so we could make a trip to St. George. And because I worked on Memorial Day (attending my Conference) I also had an extra day off, and took it the following Monday. I've been to St. George alone the last couple of times, so it was nice for Mike to be able to go with us.

We left Friday after Mike was done with work. He was able to go in early and leave a little early, so that was nice. But it was still 10:00 by the time we got to St. George. We quickly put the kids to bed.

Mike and my dad left Saturday morning just after 9:00 to go and play 18 holes of golf. It was a nice morning and we ate breakfast out on the patio. Ashton loves to play outside at my parents house, "out in the desert". He went out that morning and the neighbors had found a lizard and asked if Ashton wanted to see it. It was really big, but we figured out pretty quickly that he was dead. Ashton didn't care and had a great time checking him out.

Next, Mom and I ran some errands with the kids. I have to say, that is never fun. And my mom spend a good deal of time talking with the lady at the carpet store (where Ashton got stuck between some rolls of carpet). We also went to Tai Pan. It was funny because Tai Pan and Home Depot had free hot dogs, so the kids ate a hot dog at both places and that was their lunch. It worked.

Once we got back to my parents house, we promised the kids we could go swimming. My parents have a condo (besides their house) in St. George and we usually go swimming there. But Ryan and Julie just bought a place there, and their pool is a lot more kid friendly, so we went to check it out.

I feel bad that I couldn't find my camera for that swimming trip. It was a great pool and the kids had a great time. And Ryan and Julie's condo is really nice. They'll love having it.

That night we at dinner at the Mongolian BBQ and then Mike, Emma, and I did a little shopping at the outlets.

On Sunday we went to church with mom (at least Sacrament) and then hung out for a little bit. Grandad took the kids out on the four-wheeler only to find out that it wasn't shifting, so it wasn't a long ride. But they still loved it.




Finally around 4:00 we took the kids to a new park (near Ryan and Julie's condo). It is a park that has a water feature with it. It was really a fun park, we'll go there again. Emma loved the water, Ashton was a little more timid about it. But he really loved the monkey bars. I didn't realize how much he likes them, and how good at them he is. We stayed for just over an hour.




That night we ate steaks, potatoes and grilled asparagus for dinner out on the patio. It was wonderful. The weather was great and the food was so delicious.

On Monday, it was time to go home. I had heard from a friend that there was a cool sculpture exhibit at the visitor's center at the temple and that we should go see it. So, we met my mom there at about 10:30. It was a toured exhibit given by the missionaries there. It was really neat. A lady who had never sculpted before decided she was going to. They were amazing and all depicted events in Christ's Life or teachings of Christ. They told us the exhibit will tour all of the visitor centers. They were bronze sculptures, and were very intricate. We were also told that she did not have anyone be her model for Christ, which is really rare. I made the kids take a few pictures in front of the temple, just because we never go there when we are in town.


Next we ate at In-N-Out Burger with my parents. Ashton figured out that he likes cheeseburgers (since there are no chicken nuggets on the menu). It was good, but I think there are better burger joints. Then we stopped in Cedar City to visit with Mike's sister Neena. You've got to love Neena. That women sure can talk. But it was nice to see her and visit with her, and the kids had a great time. We could hardly get them to leave.


We had a great trip!!!

2 comments:

Missy said...

You guys go on so many trips! My favorite line was that Aston got stuck in the carpet rolls. It just made me laugh thinking about him stuck in there! Didn't know it was possible!

Melinda said...

What fun! And your picture of the temple is beautiful.