Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Where did These Kids Come From?



This was the conversation Mike and I had last Tuesday night in bed. It started out with me talking about Ashton's progress report from preschool. He didn't get the best progress report, and I was a little sad. But I'm glad Mrs. Kerri sent it home so that I could see what things I need to work on with Ashton. Things like using scissors, I didn't realize he needed to be able to do.

Anyway, the conversation drifted into where did these kids come from. Mike has always hinted at Ashton have some form of ADD just because he is such a handful. But I would say in the last year or so, he has really mellowed out. His attention for TV and Movies is really good (although I'm not terribly proud of that), and within the last month he has been better about playing with something and even by himself for a half hour or more. Mike's dad has always told us that children can not have ADD this early (he teaches early childhood development classes, what a great help that is), and I really don't think Ashton has ADD, he's just an active kid. But Emma is a different breed. I would say in many ways she is worse than Ashton. She can't sit still (Ashton would at least cuddle in bed with us). She is everywhere and into everything. She makes messes where ever she goes, and then you add in her bossy personality and she's a pain. But she is inherently smart. My new biggest concern for her is boredom. I think she gets bored and hence causes trouble.

Anyway, it is just interesting. Mike claims to have been such a shy child. We discussed how talkative our children are in the store. They say hi to people and talk to people. They have to say hi to all the mom's when we go to preschool. Mike had me laughing so hard when he told me that he took Ashton to Cabela's and had Ashton in the shopping cart. Mike bent down to look at something (and still had his hand on the cart) while Ashton asked the first passerby to "Help me find my daddy". Mike looked up and said, "Ashton, I'm right here." The person Ashton had asked for help just gave them a weird look. What a funny kid.

Anyway, the kids are so different from one another, and so different from us, it is just intriguing to see how they are turning out. It's a good thing we have a long time with them still.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

But they are so darn cute! Laura just loves them!

Elisa said...

Darin and I do this all the time with Miriam. We analyze her personality to claim some parts of her and blame some on each other. For sure Miriam is a drama queen, which I have to fess up to, but she is kind of a perfectionist and a bit hard on herself which I say is totally Darin. weird mix Drama queen perfectionist?

Anyway, I have often heard that kids that are a handful are very smart. So, don't worry about little Emma, her brain is just going overtime.