Wednesday, May 26, 2010

St. George Tri

So two weekends ago, Mike and I did the St. George Triathlon.  We have never done that event before and it was an awesome race.  The best news is that we had awesome weather to do the race in. 

We drove to St. George on Thursday night (after work).  On Friday, we got some shopping in, then went back and had some lunch, and put Elina down for a nap.  Then Mike, the kids, and I went to Sand Hollow to try out our wetsuits in the open water.  We met up with the Morgan's at Sand Hollow.  While Brian, Mike and I swam.  The kids got to play with their friends.  They were in heaven.  I thought the water was a little chilly and that the kids wouldn't get in it.  But they did.  They had a great time.

After playing at Sand Hollow for a few hours, we headed back to my parents house and cooked some dinner so we could enjoy a nice dinner outside on the patio.  I love the few months we can do that.

It was a great day.

Saturday was race day.  We told my mom not to bring the kids, so this was a different kind of race for Mike and I.  We've each always raced with the other one cheering us on.  Not this time, we were both racing.

Mike's heat started 20 minutes before mine.  I got to see him go, but not come out of the water.  We found out the day before that swimming in open water makes Mike really sick (as in sea sick).  He took some Dramamine, but it didn't work well enough.  He struggled in the open water swim, and was still dizzy as he started the bike ride.  And his run was slower than he liked as well.  But he finished, and that is something to be proud of.

I on the other hand had a great day.  My swim was good, my bike was average (that's typical), and my run was average.  Both the bike and the run I could use some improvement in.  I finished in 1:32:57.  I was hoping to finish in under 1:30, but I think this course was harder than some of the others that I have done.  I finished 6th in my age group out of 37.  My goal is to try and finish in the top 1/3 of my age group, and I definitely did that.  So, I was very pleased.

After our race we hung out, got some lunch, some free tee-shirts and saw results just as we left.  Once gone from the venue, we stopped and got some Nelson's Frozen Custard.  What a great way to end the race.

Shortly after getting home, we got the kids ready and went swimming with the Morgan's over at the condo.  The kids thought it was great to see and play with their friends again.  Even Elina got to go.  She is nervous in being in deep water.  After swimming we went out to dinner.

On Sunday we packed it up and headed for home.  We had a great weekend.  Thanks mom and dad for watching the kids and letting us invade your space.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Look at you Blogger Woman! Sounds like you had a great weekend. Congrats on finishing another race!

Leisa, Cory and Suzie Galloway said...

Great job on your race! You're so talented to pull off being an assitant director, a great mom (who goes on lots of trips and takes her kids lots of places) and an excellent athlete (skiier, runner, biker, swimmer....) Wow!