On Oct. the 8th, Elina got tubes in her ears. It was a hard decision to make, but looking back, I know it was the right thing to do. I had taken Emma in for her 5 year old appointment, and while we were there, had the doctor just take a quick look in Elina's ears. She hadn't been terrible, but something told me she had not gotten over her last ear infection. I hadn't given her the full dose of antibiotics because it had given her such a terrible diaper rash. Anyway, I was right, Elina had another, or still had an ear infection. This was number 5 since she was two months old (and at that point, she was 5 months old). So, the doctor gave her another antibiotic and told us that if it wasn't gone that we need to see a specialist. Well, about 7 days into a 30 day prescription, she wasn't better.
Once I talked with the specialist, I thought we should do the tubes. I really felt like if the tubes didn't solve the problem, then we would need to do allergy testing. But I am happy to say, we have not had an ear infection since she got tubes. And at the time of testing, she was starting to get another ear infection (she had been on antibiotics for 20 days).
We did the surgery at the Riverwoods Surgical Center (they got her in 3 weeks before the AF Hospital could). The morning of her surgery, I had to be there at 7:45 and Elina was not allowed anything (including breast milk) past midnight. Mike woke me up at 11:30 so I could feed Elina. I was really worried that we would have a terrible night, but we didn't. I think it has something to do with the blessing Mike gave her - thanks honey! She woke up once around 6:00, and I was able to rock her back to sleep. Then I got up and got ready. She woke up again around 7:30, but that was when I was going to wake her up and take her, so that was fine.
I thought she might cry because she was so hungry, but she fussed a little and that was it. By 8:30, they took her back for surgery (she was the first one since she was the youngest). I didn't cry when they took her (I had cried a little before). She was only gone for a total of 30 minutes. I had her back in my arms by 9:00.
They had told me that she would cry everytime she burped for most of the day, and she did. But other than that, she was good. She took a good nap when we got home, and another one that afternoon.
I'm glad we did it. She has been a much better baby ever since. She seems much more vocal and happy.
Sunday, November 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Tubes were the best thing we ever did for brett at 6 months. in a few months you will be so happy!
I'm glad she's feeling so much better and that things went so well!
I'm so glad it's helping. What a hard decision. It sounds very worth it though. You are such an awesome mom!
Poor Baby! I'm glad she's feeling better!
I have only heard people say they were glad they did it. I have never heard regrets. Surgery on your little baby is never easy though.
I'm glad everything went well with the surgery. It's always so hard to watch your kids be sick.
Post a Comment