Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Tri'd Again

I have officially completed my second triathlon. First and foremost, many thanks to Mike and the kids who not only supported me during the race (thanks for the cow bells), but also had to support me while I trained. Thanks so much, I couldn't have done it without you guys. Also, a thank you to Mike's parents who came and camped with us, supported me while I did my race and who helped with our kids. Thanks so much Phil and Janet!!!

I did the Scofield Triathlon (Sprint) yesterday with Melanie and Kristy from my ward, and Lindsay (Lloyd) Humes who is Cass's friend from Price. Just like last time I did a triathlon, I wasn't sure if I could beat Kristy in my ward (different Kristy this time), but unlike last time, Kristy beat me. The triathlon was a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and a 3.2 mile (5k) run.

Before the triathlon, I knew where I thought I could be. I thought I would do about an 18 minute swim, about a 40 minute bike and about a 27-28 minute run. I figured if I did that, I would be right about 1 hour and 30 minutes. I really thought I could do that. In the end, I finished in 1 hour 31 minutes and 40 seconds. I am quite happy. I finished 28th of all the women (93 women, in the top 30%), and 13th in my age category (40 women, in the top 33%) - Kristy finished 10th in our age category.

In the end, my swim was my best event. I finished 9th of all the women in the swim, 4th in my age category, and 28th of all the sprint triathletes (meaning including the men). I did the swim in 15 minutes and 9 seconds. They started the men 5 minutes before they started the women, and I was passing men as I finished. They had us start in the water and just line up between the shore and the orange floating ball. I was out by the ball and couldn't touch. The start was a little crazy, but not bad. I made a bad decision to try and get my flip flops on before I ran up to my bike, and that cost me some time (but more in the first transition). But I am so pleased with my swim. I finished the swim before Kristy, but she made the first transition faster than I did, and I never caught her again.

I'm out in the far right of the picture. What do you mean you don't know which one I am?

See the people passing me as I am trying to put my flip flops on - bad choice.

Next was the bike. This is where I struggled the most. I can't tell you how many women passed me on the bike. It was unreal. As someone would pass me, I would think don't let them get too far ahead of you, keep with them, and I just couldn't, my quads were burning, and I was pushing hard, but just not moving as fast. I would like to think I could blame it on the bike, but I'm sure some of it was me. My bike time was 45 minutes and 14 seconds. This bike was one mile shorter than at the other triathlon, and I did the other bike 4 minutes faster (on a different bike). I was 61st of all the women and 30th in my age category.
Some people pushed their bikes up the hill - they were going just as fast as those of us riding.

Finally the run. Because we were at the boat dock, the transition area was down by the dock and you had to run and bike up the hill to get out to the main road. It was brutal. I fast walked the hill up and then started my run. I was quite tired, but kept a good pace. I did the run in 27 minutes and 21 seconds (26th of all the women and 10th in my age category). I ended up passing a few women in the run (2 in my age category). Right at the end of the race, I got passed by one women. It was probably in the last 200 meters, she had a great kick and there was no way I could have caught her. I ended up sprinting to the finish at about the last 100 meters, and held off one of the girls I passed.
I'm third in the picture in the royal blue.


So, there you have it. It went really well, and I am proud of how it turned out (I will just have to spend the extra $5 and rent my bike else where next time).

5 comments:

Kristin said...

You are a UVSELF person for sure. When Tim and I were at the opening dinner, we felt a little out of our league with all the people who were talking about their Triathalon expereinces. Congratulations on another job well done. I am not sure that is anywhere near my abilities or goals right now.

Melinda said...

You are amazing! I am totally impressed.

The Jackson 3 said...

You are amazing. Just looking at the pictures makes me feel tired!

Jones Family said...

Wow- That is so cool. I wish I could do that. You are amazing!

Jewel said...

Hey Andrea,
WAY TO GO!!
I can't believe your triathalon experience is just another post in the past now. It seems like such a huge thing. I hope you are proud of it for the rest of your life. From the looks of it you may not be stopping at just 2 measley triathalons though. Maybe you're hooked?
Sorry the Bike Barn didn't come through for you. I can't believe it was a mile shorter and took longer. That is pretty significant. Blame it on the bike.
You are a great athlete.
I enjoyed watching you crossing the finish line.