Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekend With a Race and a Birthday

This weekend I did my Scofield Triathlon. Besides that, we made a camping trip out of it (I didn't get any pictures of us camping). Then Sunday brought Mike's Birthday!!!

Quick update on the bathrooms. We really didn't get much done this week. We installed lights and sealed the grout. The main bathroom got the toilet put back in, but that's about it.



On Friday we were still trying to finish up things with our bathrooms. I got off of work early, but there was still lots to do. We weren't really packed, and I was in charge of picking out the counter tops for bathrooms. Mike was on packing duty. I had packed me, and the kids, but Mike was in charge of the food, and all the camping supplies. While Mike finished packing, I went to the counter top place to pick out counter tops. We got a good deal, but what cost the most is the cut for the under mount sink.

Mel was nice enough to grab my bike for me and to let me use their bike rack to transport my bike. We left town at 3:30 (not 1:00 like I had hoped).

We drove to Scofield Reservoir and were lucky enough to get a camp spot at Madsen Bay. That was only few miles from the race. The spot wasn't great (no shade) but it was close and that's what I wanted. It also had a picnic table (and that was nice because we don't have a camping table).

Because it was early we did some exploring with the kids, and then waited for Phil and Janet to come. It was so nice of Mike's parents to be willing to come help us. Especially since they were in Provo earlier that day helping Steve and Crystal pack. They are moving to Florida so that Steve can go to medical school.

Once the grandma & grandpa came, we started cooking dinner. We had pasta, French bread and corn on the cob. Dinner was good, and the Mike took me over to the state park so that I could check-in for my race. It was interesting since this was my first real triathlon and most people looked to be really in shape. I think they didn't have a clue weather it was me or Mike checking in for the race, neither of us look like we could do it. I checked out the transition area, and then we headed back to camp to have some Birthday cake for Mike. Mike's parents brought it.

Once the cake was eaten, I went to talk to Mel and Kristy to make some plans for the next day. Then I came back to the kids playing with our camping neighbors (they shared smores with the kids). At 9:30 I got the kids ready for bed and sent them into the tent. The kids mostly played until Mike and I joined them in the tent at about 10:00. For the most part, the kids were good. Ashton was the first to fall asleep. We were kinda on a slope with the kids sliding towards me. Emma took a while to go to sleep and was having lots of fun annoying Mike and me. Besides having the kids sleep close, I slept fine when I slept, but I didn't stay asleep for long. I was up at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:30 in anticipation for the race. I never fell asleep again after waking up at 5:30. I finally got out of bed at 7:00. I had breakfast, and got dressed and dealt with some things. Janet was up not long after me. The kids woke up about 7:30, and came out to find me. Mike came out with them. I was hoping to get to the tri by about 7:45 so I could see the 8:00 race start. I barely made it. Mike and I were a little slow to get in the car and get over to the race.

I got my transition area set up, and then started preping for the race. I really didn't prep like I should. I should have rode my bike and stretched. But mostly I chatted and went potty. Next we got our wet suits on and went down for our race meeting. They let us get in the water, and do a quick warm up there. I sent Mike away to get the kids, and hopefully get back in time for the race to start. They had the men start 5 minutes before the women, and they had us start in the water. Then the race was on. I have a whole post about the race, so you can read that. But all in all I was happy with what happened. I finished right about the time I wanted too, and was happy with my placing.

After the race, I wandered around and talked to people. At one point I was looking for Ashton, and Mike spotted him 20 feet up in a tree. What a funny kid. Mike and I stayed and ate the BBQ. It was really good. They had BBQ Beef sandwiches, with baked beans, chips and a drink. Mike's parents took the kids (we didn't think they would eat the food very well, and it wasn't worth the $8.00 for the kids). We finally left the race around 1:30. They posted the results not long before we left.


The kids had really wanted to go fishing, so we went back to camp, cleaned up and then drove to lake (past the race area). It was the middle of the day, so the fishing wasn't good, and all we had was the kids poles. In the end, we spent time in the lake. Emma with her cast couldn't go out very far, but still enjoyed getting wet. I was getting really tired, after the race and then being out in the sun, I was beat. We left the lake, and drove home up over the top and into Fairview. It was a beautiful ride.



That night, we did dinner, and had the option to go see the Police in concert, but the tickets were expensive, the notice was short, and it just didn't work out in the end. We had root beer floats and watched "The Sword and the Stone".

Sunday was officially Mike's B-day, but we kept it pretty low key. We went to church, and we had lunch and quite time. We did have dad open some presents (cards) and had popcorn, root beer floats and finished "Sword and the Stone".


Happy Birthday Mike. You're a great dad!! I appreciate all that you do for us. And appreciate the many talents you have (I'm amazed at the things you can do around the house). We love you so much!!!!

Finally, while brushing Ashton's teeth on Sunday night, one of his teeth looked really crooked. So, I touched it with my finger, and it was loose. Ashton has his first loose tooth!!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Good job on your triathlon...hearing you talk about it makes me want to do it too! Glad you turned it into a camping trip, camping is always fun and makes it feel like summer!

Melinda said...

Look at you go! I'm glad you were able to do it with your family! Looks like you had a great time!