For those of you who know and those of you who don't, for the last month Mike and I have had the possibility of a large life decision looming. About a month ago I applied for and began interviewing with
Weber State University in Ogden for the position of Director of Institutional Research. I am currently the Assistant Director of Institutional Research at UVSC. So, anyway, we knew there was the possibility that we might have to make a large life decision, and on May 10, that life decision hit. I was offered the job to be the IR Director at Weber. I had driven up there for two interviews (thanks Helene for watching the kids), and had asked about the Ogden area (thanks Christa for the info), and then the decision had to be made.
It finally came down to a decision about the kids. Right now, UVSC let's me work from home two days a week, and Mike is home on Monday's. So, the kids only have to be at a babysitters 2 days a week. In the end, we decided that I probably have 30 more years to work, and that I better take advantage of the time I have to be home with the kids. I think I would regret not watching the kids grow up when I had a chance. My career can wait. Not to mention having to send the kids to a babysitter five days a week would be really hard.
Anyway, although we could have made it work, and it would have been great for my career, I'm not really ready to give up what I have now. And who would want to? My kids are great!!!!
3 comments:
Wow, Andrea! That is a BIG decision! I think you're right about being able to stay home with your kids, though. That would be tempting to take the job!
Wow is what came to my mind as well. It's good to look at the big picture, 30 years is a long time to work and I am sure the sacrifices you make for your kids won't be regretted.
You made the right decision...I know what a rough one it was!
Post a Comment