Monday, December 04, 2006

Through a Child's Eyes/Brain

So, I had a couple of funny things happen with Ashton in the last couple of days and thought that I should blog about it. It's amazing what we know as adults in terms of the way we use language. And it's interesting when kids just don't see/hear it the same way.

On Friday I was working from home, but ran into the office to get some things with the kids in tow. UVSC has some employee lots that you have to have a garage door opener to get into, and in my rush I killed the car trying to do everything. I used one of the lame words we use in front of our kids - dang it, or something of the sort. Ashton asked what was wrong and I explained that I had killed the car. Ashton is just becoming aware of death and the word kill. It wasn't the best thing for me to say because for the next 10 minutes I had to try to explain what it meant to kill the car. And listen to "Oh no mom, the car is dead, we can't drive it".

The second was yesterday. I had bought some of the old Christmas movies - Frosty the Snow Man, Ruldolf the Red Nose Reindeer, etc. and were going to let the kids watch it last night before bed. We told Ashton the names of the movies, and he asked about the clown reindeer. I looked at Mike totally confused, and Ashton what he was talking about. Mike caught on quicker than I did. Ruldolf was a clown reindeer because he had a red nose. That was what Ashton had decided as we talked about the Red Nose Reindeer, he was a clown, duh!!!

Like I said, really interesting to see how differently children see/process things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isnt it great how kids see the world. Those comments are precious...