Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lost and Found


Mike was home from work last Wednesday, and that's usually a day I come home early.  I stayed at work longer to get some stuff done, and then came home around 3:00.  Ashton get's done with school at 2:15 (he's on A track and get's done 1 hour and 15 min. earlier than half of the school).  When I got home just after 3:00 I asked Mike where Ashton was.  He hadn't made it home from school yet.  Now, Ashton is known to be, how do I put this, spacey.  He's been 35-40 minutes late coming home from school before because "I was putting a spider in my lunch bag".  Mike had sent Emma to look for Ashton at the neighbor's igloo.  He wasn't there.  So, I fed the baby, hoping he would get home, but he hadn't.  So, I loaded up the girls and went looking.  We knocked on neighbor's doors and drove his route to the school, but to no avail.  By this time, other kids are getting out of school (B track) and he is now an hour and 15 minutes late getting home.  I ask some of the kids if they have seen him, and they had, at school that day.  Back at home we come up with one more house to check, but he's not there.  So, I go to the school (inside) looking for him.  While in the office the secretary says to me "If we don't find him soon, we'll have to call the police".  At which point I start crying.  Ashton's teacher tells me that she sent him home with A track and hasn't seen him.  We call two boys homes in his class to see if he went home with them, but he hadn't.  At this point it's nearly 4:00 and he has been out of school 1 hour and 45 minutes.  His teacher tells me to go home, driving the route and looking for Ashton and if I don't find him, to call, and we'll make plans from there.  Just as I'm about to leave the school Mike calls and tells me to go to Leslie's and that Ashton is there. 

I arrived at Leslie's to Ashton opening the door.  I'm relieved to find him, and yet I'm mad.  Leslie, had no idea Ashton was missing.  Brigham and Alex (the boy next door) had been playing outside when Ashton was walking home from school.  He stopped to play, and didn't come home.  The boys were playing at Alex's and then came to Brigham's.  Leslie asked Ashton if his mom thought he was at Brigham's or Alex's and Ashton replied "Oh, my mom knows where I am".  Thank goodness Leslie called the house just to let me know Ashton was playing there.

Needless to say, Ashton was in trouble, and I was grateful that Leslie called.  Ashton was lost and then found.  I was so glad to find him, and glad it was a day that both Mike and I were home.  I can't imagine that it would have gone well if the babysitter had been home that day.

6 comments:

The Jackson 3 said...

so scarrry. Glad he was just at a friends house playing. We had our neighbor playing at our house once and he told me his dad knew where he was. He comes over all the time so I assumed this to be true. 20 minutes later his dad came just to check to make sure he was there. He thought he was just outside playing.

Missy said...

Oh wow! I would've freaked! Actually I have and Brinley was only 15 minutes late. That's so scary!

Karyn said...

Scary! I am glad all turned out all right though! Maybe you should put a homing beacon on him so you know where he is at all times! :)

Kikal said...

A missing child is the sickest feeling in the world!!! So glad he is safe :)

Steve and Dee said...

At least I know my kid isn't the only one to pull a stunt like that. :) I'll let you guess which one (probably the one who sluffs primary with Ashton!)

Kristin said...

YIKES! The horrible moments of parenthood huh? Neigborhood Kids lie to me about that all the time.