Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Bad Choices

I can be the first one to admit that it is usually me making bad choices (letting my temper get out of control or losing my patience too quickly), but today, both of my children made bad choices.

I had been so proud that neither had ever taken scissors to their hair. In fact I was at Helene's last week, and the girls (Brynn and Emma) were talking about cutting hair. We made sure they knew that they were not to cut hair, but they could pretend. Well, today, without me realizing what Emma was asking "Does it look like my hair is cut?", (it took her asking two times before I paid enough attention to realize she was cutting her hair) Emma took a pair of children's scissors to her hair. Not terrible, but not great. I just had Helene trim her hair on Friday. She wanted to grow it long, and so I thought I was being so kind to let her, now I'm tempted to take her to Dollar Cuts and have them chop it. I think it is mostly the left side, but she may have gotten a small piece of the right side too.

Short hair in front

Ashton made his bad choices at the Doctor's office. The kids complained earlier this week about having sore throats (neither had a bad cough or really any runny nose), but Mike kept them home yesterday from school, and so I scheduled an appointment for them today. Ashton started taking his stand at home. He did not want to go to the Dr. Office, he yelled at me before we left insisting that he was not sick and did not have a sore throat. When it came time to get on the scale, he would not, and when I picked him up and put him on it, he sulked. Once the Dr. made it in the room, he refused to hold still so the Dr. could look in his ears. We had to bring someone else in to help hold him still (he had an ear infection). Next the Dr. needed to look in his mouth. He refused to open, and again, we had to pin him down (he clamped his teeth shut), and had to work the tongue depressor into his mouth far enough to gag him so he opened. He had a really red throat. Luckily he opened his mouth and let the Dr. do the swab for Strep.

Lucky us, both kids have Strep Throat. Due to Ashton's great attitude, he got to leave the Dr. Office with no sucker, and come home and go to his room (he's sleeping as we speak, or as I type). As Mike said, it's a good thing I'm going out with the girls tonight.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh it's rough to be a mommy sometimes. I think you handled and regularly handle yourself beautifully!

Karyn said...

It's not fun when a child cuts their hair, but it could have been a LOT worse! Isn't it hard when kids are stubborn like Ashton was? I keep wondering how I will get Micah to do things when he is too big for me to move him myself!

Jewel said...

I am sorry again that I am laughing again at what you posted. I did not want to picture your pregnant little self lifting Ashton onto the scale and then pinning him down so he would open up.
A friend of mine just blogged about a hair cutting experience like this (but worse.) She titled it: "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow."