Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh, How We Love St. George

I had meetings in St. George last week on Thursday and Friday. Since Mike was working and it's hard with his schedule to be in charge of the kids, I took them to St. George with me.

We left on Wednesday night. And last week, Wednesday was a terrible day to travel (or so I thought). We woke up to snow on the ground, and it snowed for some of the morning, but by later that day, it wasn't too bad. I left work a little early, but decided to cook dinner before we left. In the end it was just after 6:00 by the time I loaded the kids in the car and headed out. We made one stop in Fillmore to use the bathroom (thanks Emma), but other than that, made a good trip down. The roads were wet through Nephi but dry the rest of the way. I don't think I have seen that road that empty for a while.

On Thursday, I slept in and got up and got ready (I had meetings at noon). I got the kids ready and I had made arrangements for my friend Julianne to watch them. Thanks Julianne for doing that. She feed them lunch and watched them till my meetings were done (just after 5:00). That night, I went to dinner with my office at Outback, and played games with my office at my parents condo. Thanks mom and dad for letting us do that. My parents watched my kids, gave them a bath and put them to bed.

Friday morning I had meetings again. This time my mom stayed home from worked and watched my kids. I came home and sent her into work and then took the kids swimming at the aquatic center. The kids love it there. The only drawback was that there was a high school swim meet there. The high schoolers weren't really where my kids were playing, but their stuff was everywhere, and it was a little awkward. But the kids had a great time. Ashton loves playing on the Lilly pads and Emma loves the water slide.

After swimming we met up with my mom and did some shopping. My mom took the kids to Walmart to see what they wanted for Christmas. The good news is, they liked a lot of stuff, the bad news is, they liked a lot of stuff. It seems to be really hard for them to narrow it down to the few things they want the most. That night we ate Mongollian BBQ for dinner (yum!).

Saturday brought more sleeping in. My dad took the kids out on the 4-wheeler. The kids really love to ride the 4-wheeler. The kids also have a good time exploring for toys in my parents basement and exploring their back yard. I have to remind Ashton to stay close to the house. My mom let me go and get a pedicure, while she watched the kids. That was really nice. And later that afternoon we sent the kids on a scavenger hunt. They really enjoyed that (when they weren't fighting about it).




That night we went to dinner at Golden Corral. The lady that came in behind us didn't have a leg. The kids were really intrigued by that. Emma was trying to look for her leg under her skirt. I took Emma away, and Ashton asked the lady what happened to her leg. She was really nice and told the kids that it had gotten infected and the doctors couldn't make it better so they had to cut it off. That at least appeased the kids.

We had found out that Sunday was my parents stake conference (thanks to my uncle Larry), so I was off the hook for taking my kids to church. The weather was also supposed to be bad that day, so I made plans to leave St. George early. I had the kids loaded and was in the car by noon. It had just started to rain. It rained till just past Cedar City, then it was dry the rest of the way home. Leaving that early was really nice. We made one stop in Scipio to go to the bathroom (Emma again). And we made it home by 4:00. It was good.

Thanks mom and dad. It's always nice to come down and visit (especially when work pays for my trip).

2 comments:

Natalie said...

that sounds like a great time! Now I want to go to St. George. :) I'm glad you had fun with your cute kids and family!

Melinda said...

I love kids; go Ashton for just asking. And, btw, his hat is AWESOME!