Wednesday, September 10, 2008

State Fair

On Monday we went to the state fair. I couldn't believe how warm it was that day (it was great, although, I should have worn shorts). I think this is our 4th year in a row going. I really feel like now it is a tradition, just something we do every year. We went with two of Mike's sisters and their kids. The plan was to meet up at about 5:00. But everyone ran a little late (Helene was pretty much right on time). While we waited, we did some wandering around to see some booths. After that, we waited and played on a tractor while at Small Hands On The Farm.

As soon as Kari got there, we did Small Hands On The Farm. It's purpose is to show kids how food goes from the farmer to the grocery store. I think it is a pretty fun activity.

First you put on your apron.

You feed your cow, milk the cow, pick fruit, plant vegetables, harvest vegetables, get wool from your sheep, drive a tractor (tricycle that looks like a tractor), sell your goods, and then take your money to buy something at the grocery store. It's pretty fun for the kids.




Next we went to find a place to sit down and eat our dinner. Kari had feed her kids in the car, so they wandered off while the rest of us ate. This year it was really hard to find a spot to eat. It seems as though there were less tables, or maybe it was just more people.

After dinner, we meet up with Kari again, and walked through the areas where they had all the animals (cows, goats, sheep, rabbits, pigs, birds). I can't even tell you how bad the pigs smelled. It was terrible!!!






Our last activity of the night was to go down the big yellow slide. My poor kids wanted to do a ton of other rides, but they were so expensive (the Ferris wheel was $5 per person). So, just like every other year, the only ride we did was the big yellow slide (check out the video below to see it for yourself). It was fun, and I really can't complain, it was time to head home.

On the way home we stopped for an ice cream cone at McDonald's (cheaper than the fair). We got home just after 9:00. It was a fun family night.

2 comments:

Missy said...

We have yet to go to the fair. Looks like fun! I especially liked the slide video!
You guys sure have been busy!

Kristin said...

That sure does look like fun. We will have to go one of these years. I guess Tim went with Joe last year to the Weird Al concert but that was it.