Thursday, February 28, 2008

Field Trip to the Library & Playing Outside

Library
I really don't know what my aversion is to the library, but I have one. Unlike most of the mother's in the neighborhood, I have never done the Wee Read or Storytime or had a day that I always take my kids to the library. Maybe it's just that I work,
and so, it's not really convenient. I think that's some of it, but there are other reasons. My kids are really mouth friendly, in fact today when I picked Emma up from the sitters, she admitted to eating sand (ring of sand around the mouth gave it away - she's 3!!!). In other words, my kids eat books too. And no matter what I do, I haven't been able to stop them from ruining books. And if they are going to ruin books, I would prefer that they were my books, and not the libraries. Also, my kids don't do very well in public - I have images of them running around the library being so very loud, and then having the librarian kick us out.

So with this aversion to the library, I felt bad on the field trip yesterday when my kids were the only kids who had never been to the library. They really liked it and for the most part did well. Ashton was a little clingy to me, so that was annoying. But for the most part it was fine. We had a tour of the library and then had a librarian read us some stories. At the end, Ashton had found a book on BUGS and had me check it out. I also checked out some movies. It was great. Did you know that you are not supposed to tape torn pages back together? I didn't. If you ever tear a page, just take it back to the library torn and they will repair it with special glue. While the librarian was giving us a lecture on what not to do with books (and showing us some very sad books), she showed us a book that had been chewed by a dog. The book was called - What Your dog is trying to tell you. Classic!


Outside
So the weather this week has been great. I worked from home on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, and we spent some time outside, because the weather was so good. It was cold enough that you had to wear a sweatshirt or a jacket, but it was still great weather for February.

On Tuesday, Ashton wanted to ride his bike and Emma wanted to ride in the wagon. Ashton did great and rode his bike the whole time. Emma on the other hand did not. She wanted in the wagon, then she wanted to help me pull then wagon, then she wanted to walk (lap one). On lap two, Emma wanted to ride her trike, that lasted about half the block, then I pushed it the rest of the way. By lap three, I just made her run. Ashton got in trouble for getting to far ahead of me and not stopping when I asked him too. But after a timeout, the kids played in the backyard for an hour or so. It was so nice, not only for me, but for them too.

On Wednesday, Ashton rode his bike again, but I was hoping that Emma would do better riding the scooter. No luck. So, after half the block, I carried it home. After one lap, we decided to venture into the neighborhood/ward to see who else was about. We played with Lily & Micah, and visited/played with Kathy and Nathan as well. It was nice to be out and about. And again, once we got home, we played outside. Hooray for good weather!!

3 comments:

Missy said...

AMEN!! Loving this good weather!
I'm hesitant about libraries too, but we go sometimes and if they get to loud, then we leave without a book (but they are kicking and screaming...so that part's not fun and have only done it once)!

Jewel said...

Oh, getting around the block- (or anywhere with toddlers on their bikes/ scooters). I have BEEN THERE! I sometimes loop a rope around Desi's trike and pull her but then I feel bad that she's not getting the exercise. The varying speeeds are a problem, though.
You are going to get hooked on the Library Andrea... I just know it!!

Kristin said...

I like libraries, but not reading times. Last time I took my kids to that....many years ago, the lady had her little boy practice reading and he was a little kid so he didn't know how to read in a way to keep my little kids entertained at least. I kept telling Joe to sit down and that he was being rude. I don't take my kids to reading time for that!