Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving - Busy & Interesting (Need I Say More?)

I took Wednesday Nov. 21 off for Thanksgiving. I thought a 5 day weekend sounded nice. And I had some errands to do. I had to pick up some rolls in Lehi and some pies from UVSC. Mike and I also were going to see a movie that day. So, it was busy.

I got my errands done without too many problems. Ashton saw the cake book at the Lehi Bakery. He really wants a Transformers Cake for his birthday. That's fine, but he is convinced that we have to go to Lehi Bakery to order that kind of cake. Funny kid. I'll have to show him that Macey's has the cake too.

Mike and I went to see Enchanted on Wednesday. It was funny. I don't know that it is a must see in the theater. But is is funny. The actress does a great job of just being clueless. We had some good laughs.

Mom and Dad came into town on Wednesday night but stayed at Cassidy's house to help her with Thanksgiving the next day, so, not much else happened on Wednesday.

Thursday was nice and slow in the morning. I got up and made Norwegian pancakes (or as Emma calls them, region pancakes). And we headed to Cassidy's at about 1:00. Dinner was supposed to start around 2:00. They had some tables and chairs set up in the basement. Just as we were about to sit down and eat, we notice some water dripping out of their ceiling. We moved the table, and Nate put his thumb up there to check it out. In doing so, he poked a hole in the ceiling and all this water came out (the hole was only about the size of a quarter). Once the water drained, we could see a ring on the ceiling of where the water had been. We turned off the main water to the house but figured out that wasn't it. We ended up turning off the water to a toilet upstairs. And found out after dinner that the tank had been dripping on the floor for maybe 2 days or so. Once we sat down to dinner we realized that all adults at the table had had some sort of water issue in their home within the last two years.

We ate dinner with my parents, my sister and her husband, my mom's parents, and my mom's youngest brother and his family. In all there were 10 adults and 4 kids. It was perfect. The food was great. And while we finished up, we sent the kids outside to play. At about 5:00 we had some pie, then got ready to go home.

Mike put in a movie and sat in the back with the kids, and it was a good thing. We got stopped on the freeway for about 20 minutes. There was an accident. It took us 50 minutes to get from Springville to PG, something that would normally take 25-30 minutes. Emma almost fell asleep on the drive home but Mike kept her awake. Mike lost his battle with Ashton, he fell dead asleep.

Friday brought a slow morning. Mike had to go into work, and I stayed home getting things ready for my parents to come stay at the house. I didn't do any Black Friday shopping, and that was really nice.

My mom came to the house at about 1:30, and Mike met up with my dad at about 2:30 to golf in Orem. The big deal was family pictures that night. We were scheduled to have family pictures at 6:30 at JCPenny. We got there, and it was packed. None of the 6:00 people had been in for pictures yet. That was a bad sign. I think it was 7:15 or a little later by the time they got us in. It's not so easy to keep two kids clean, happy and occupied for 45 plus minutes at a store. We got some good pictures pretty quick. We took the picture of the 8 of us first (mom, dad, me, Mike, Cass, Nate, and the kids). Then it was just our family. About 4 pictures into it, Emma got mad and pouted and wouldn't smile. So, we gave them a break and did pictures of Cass & Nate, and then my parents. Next we tried to get pictures of the two kids alone. She took some, but they didn't turn out well. Finally we did some family pictures of us again. Emma was better, but I didn't end up buying any of those.

We finally got to eat dinner that night at Red Robin around 8:30. It was a long night. We took the kids home and put them straight in bed.

Saturday again Mike had to work. He had to be in for a BYU, U of U tailgate party that Marriott hosts. My dad left that morning to go golfing, so that left me, my mom and the kids. Cass came over at 11:00 and we started making mints for Christmas gifts. Last year we did 12 batches, and it was way too many. This year we did 8 and it was just right. We ended up filling 36 boxes. It was great. We did run out of mint and stopped at about 12:30 while I feed the kids and put them down, and my mom went to Orem to buy some mint drops. But all in all it was good. It still takes several hours, and the kids get in the way, but we got it done.


Doesn't it look like we were having fun.

Once the boys got home Friday night, us girls went to do some shopping. Bed, Bath & Body Works was having a sale on their hand soap. We got 5 for $10. It was a steal. I bought 15 of them.

We had the boys start dinner while we were gone. I had cooked a pork roast all day. We made some really good enchiladas. Cass and Nate left after dinner, and mom and dad stayed the night but left Sunday while we were at church.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Sounds like a big adventure, but lots of fun, nonetheless! And nice job on the hand soap.

Missy said...

That leak would've been BAD if you didn't move the table!!
It sounds like you guys were busy! I'm mad that I missed that awesome hand soap sale!

The Jackson 3 said...

Those mints look delicious!

Elisa said...

Is Enchanted okay for kids? Miriam is dying to see it.

Your mints look great, it's good to have those traditions. We bought the B&B hand soap as Christmas gifts for neighbors and friends! Great sale..and I got some free lotion out of it too.