I went to Kansas City this week. I flew out on Sunday, and came back on Wednesday night. This conference is a really good conference, so it really was worth while. But it was worth while in other ways as well. I didn't realize it, but there are LDS church historical sites nearby. On Sunday night, we got to go to Liberty Jail. It was only a short distance (1/2 hour) from Kansas City. I haven't been to any other church sites (except for Utah), so it was really cool to get to go.
All that is left of Liberty Jail is the floor. Whatever stones were still left at the site, they used to build the replica that is now at the visitor center. It is in Liberty Jail that Joseph Smith received sections 121-123 of the Doctrine and Covenants. It was really cool what they knew about the jail. It was quite the jail of it's time. No one ever escaped from the jail. The walls were approximately 4 feet thick. It was very cold in the jail; at the point they stopped using it as a jail, they used it as an ice box. Joseph Smith and four companions spent the winter there. They really were in poor living conditions.
Here are some pictures of the replica - remember the floor is the same floor (they have it set up as if Joseph Smith and his companions were there).
I always am amazed at what the church does with our tithing money. What a great way to spend it - on creating amazing tourist spots (mainly for members of the church).
Monday night was spent eating some good food. Jason had told me about a place to go and eat called "Houston's". They don't sell their famous milk shakes any more (sorry Jason), but the spinach and artichoke dip was excellent. After dinner, the Cheesecake Factory was just across the street and we all went over and got a piece of cheesecake. Tim vows it was the highlight of the trip.
On Tuesday night Tim, Eric and I caught a ride with Marc and his wife, Gail, to Independence Missouri. The church has an awesome visitor center there, but there really isn't much else. The visitor center has a movie about Joseph Smith, a Chirstus (shown below), and replicas of a printing press, and a cabin.
There is the temple lot (shown above), and then there is the "temple" for the Community of Christ Church (this is a break-off group from the LDS Church, who once Joseph Smith died, had a period of confusion and wait, until Joseph Smith's son could take over the church - he was only 11 when his father died). They built their own temple in Independence Missouri but not until 1994. It's - interesting (below).
On Wednesday, we traveled home. I guess it was a good thing that we left by 2:00, because planes leaving at 5:30 were delayed until midnight. I was home by 5:30 and around 7:00 Mike and I met Mike's parents in the canyon so we could get the kids back. Emma was so happy to see me she was crying. How cute!!!

2 comments:
That sounds like a fun trip! I went to Liberty Jail and all those same sites in High School when I didn't really appreciate it as much as I would now. LUCKY!
Very cool. How neat that you got to visit those sites!
Post a Comment