Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Family Vacation

So we did a big family vacation with my mom's side of the family last weekend. My mom has four brothers, and we try and do a vacation with them and my grandparents once a year. It was going to be this weekend, but my grandpa had something come up, so we scrambled to find something else.

We settled on this last weekend - spring break for most school districts. Last year over spring break my mom and three of her four brothers met up in Mesquite, NV for dinner, so we ended up doing an extended version of that this year. Doug and Angie already had plans down there, so we made it work for the rest of us.

My parents live in St. George and hosted a BBQ at their house Friday night. My sister and I stayed there. My parents and grandparents also own a condo in St. George, so my Grandparents and Ryan and Julie stayed there. Doug and Angie got a room in Mesquite. Ken and Kim live in Boulder City, NV (just outside of Vegas) and they brought a trailer to Mesquite (for his daughters to stay in) then they also had a room for themselves and the boys. Kevin is the only one who didn't come (he didn't make it last year either). His kids didn't want to come, so he didn't come either.

Mike had to work, so I traveled down with the kids alone. I went down on Thursday afternoon, and the kids did a really good job. I went around 1:00 so I could have the kids nap. I told them they couldn't watch a movie until they napped, so they napped for me. When the woke up, I pulled over on the side of the road and set up the movie. When it ended, we were just outside of Cedar, and we stopped at a rest stop for a potty break, and a new movie. We made it to St. George between 5:15 and 5:30. It was pretty good.

Dad got home shortly after I got there and we ran over to Sun River to see his sister and her husband (Judy and Larry). We came back to the house, did dinner, let the kids play and then went to bed.

Friday brought swimming at the condo. It was great because the indoor pool was nice and warm, and we had the pool to ourselves. The weather was cold that day, so it was nice to be indoors. Me and the kids went swimming with Julie and her girls. Ryan showed up around noon (he had been golfing). We swam for almost 2 hours. After that, we went and grabbed some food. Then I took the kids to my parents house for a nap (because we had plans that evening).


Here we are chillin at the BBQ.

We had a great BBQ. The weather stayed chili, but we ate inside and had a good time chatting. We even sent the kids on a treasure hunt. Here's a picture before they left.


The next morning didn't go as planned. Ashton was constipated, and we spent the morning working on that, instead of going to the Kite Festival like we had planned. Dad was able to give the kids a ride on the four wheeler. They loved it (as always).


After lunch, we headed out to Mesquite to enjoy a swim in the pool there. The morning started out great, but by afternoon it was a little overcast. It wasn't cold, but with the cold pool water, it was chili. It took a long time to get used to the water (at least for me, the kids did better). But the pool had a waterfall, and a water slide. Ashton was too scared to go on the slide alone and came running down for me, and jumped in the pool without his water wings. Good thing Julie was watching and jumped in after him. It gave us a little scare. Ashton did do the slide alone, once I went down with him. All in all it was fun to chill at the pool.

We headed back to St. George for dinner. Ken and his kids were going to go to a steak house (not a good option for the kids). Doug and Angie planned on fast food. So, the rest of us headed to St. George for something in between. We settled on Mexican at a little dive that doesn't have a wait.

Sunday brought packing up, rain and heading home. I left at about 11:30, and made a good choice. I had some rain but not tons. Cass and Nate hit more rain than I did, and by evening, I heard it was terrible.

But here's the best news. Mike was awesome while I was gone. He not only did yard work, and built a new shelf in the garage, but he also painted and put up base boards in our house and sanded and painted the wood around the garage. The base boards have been off for almost 11 months.

Can I just say that MIKE IS GREAT!!! I love you hon. I appreciate what you did sooooo much!!!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Gosh! You guys know how to pack it in! Sounds like a fun vacation. I've been catching up on your blog and you guys go so many places! We look boring compared to you!

Melinda said...

You are a gutsy woman to brave it alone! It looks like you had a great time!

The Jackson 3 said...

Sounds like fun and busy. Glad you survived and enjoyed it at the same time! Mike is a doll isnt he.