One hundred what you ask? One hundred things about me, no, I already did that. One hundred blog posts, no, I'm way past that (this is 342, by the way). So, what -
ONE HUNDRED MILES
ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN MILES TO BE EXACT - 115 ON A BIKE!!!
(Mike and Andrea after biking in St. George - not this ride).
On May 29 (the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend) Mike and I did the Pony Express Century Ride. We new it was to be 112 miles (Mike and I took a little detour that made it just a hair longer).
Mike was much more willing to conquer 112 miles. I on the other hand thought there might be some way to get out of it (I don't know what I was thinking, it was a loop ride, one big circle with no short cut).
It was an early morning. It started at 7:00. Mike had worked hard the night before to get my bike computer to work In the process, he didn't lock his on tight and when we showed up to start the ride, his bike computer was missing.
Now let me just preface this next part by saying, I love Mike, and he has good intentions, and I'm not really mad about it, just a little bugged. So, Mike always informs me that he will ride slow, and we'll stick together, then he rides at what he thinks is a slow pace and ditches me instantly. Like I said, I'm not mad, I just wish he wouldn't tempt me with the idea that we might ride together. He should just say, I'll wait for you at the next pit stop. Like when he said, naw, I'm not starting my music yet, I thought I'd wait awhile so we could talk - 18 miles later, I've ridden with no music, and no Mike.
It was supposed to rain that day, we were blessed with no rain, but still chilly temperatures. We wore our arm and leg warmers all day.
The first big test was 40 miles in. We had a 10 mile climb up a mountain. This was to the town of Eureka where our lunch break would be. The first 5 miles was gradual and doable, followed by a hard five miles. We stopped and rested with about 3 miles to go, and then split. I really struggled the last 3 miles. By the time I made it to the lunch break, I was nearly in tears, just emotionally spent.
I really thought that making it to Mile 50 would be the worst part, so I called my sister to let her know we should be good for the rest of the day (at 11:30), and wouldn't need a ride. Little did I know, the worst was to come.
After lunch we had a nice decent for about 10 miles, followed by 10 miles of wind. Miles 60 to 70 were hard for me. But at this point, I was still optimistic, nearly done - right? Miles 70-80 were made significantly easier because Mike allowed me to draft off of him. Thank goodness!
It was at 90 miles that I got discouraged. I had hoped to be done by 2:30 and there we were still at 90 miles, which meant we had at least another hour to go. From there on, I just struggled. I was mentally ready to be done, and wasn't. There was no one to call, and nothing left to do but continue on. I was miserable. I was totally considering getting off my bike and hitch hiking back to my car - that is how desperate, I was.
But in the end - I didn't. I finished. It only took me 9 hours (you heard me 9 hours, including all my stops). I got off my bike at 3:55. I am proud I finished, but I don't think I will be doing that for a while. 75 miles seems more my style.
Mike - my awesome husband - would tell a different story, one of waiting for his wife at each pit stop and his body getting cold while he waited. He would also say that the ride wasn't so hard, and that he is willing to do ULCER in August - I am not! He would speak of ease of riding and how slow his wife was going. Of getting off his bike and turning around, and waiting and waiting for his wife.
Mike rocks and Andrea is slow.
The most depressing news - no camera the whole trip - no documentation of our efforts. Even when I got home, I had plans with my girlfriends. So, no picture at home even. Mike was taking the kids to Price that night because I was flying out to Chicago the next day, so I had made plans to play with friends. We got home at about 4:30, and I had an appointment for a pedicure at 5:00. So after a quick shower, and a quick I love you to the kids, I was gone for the next 5 days (more on the Chicago trip to come).
Monday, June 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
YUCK!
I am seriously proud of you!
Way to finish even when you had some serious obstacles. I have to say you picked a tough one for your first 100!
One of these days you and I will get to do Little Red together and it will be super fun and not that hard!
Great job, Andrea! I am impressed! I know I couldn't do that.
WAY TO GO!!!
Post a Comment