Friday, September 18, 2009

Bear Lake Classic Triathlon

I did my first and only sprint triathlon the last weekend in August up at Bear Lake. It has been hard to find time, energy and the dedication to train this summer. Thank goodness I had some maternity leave. It has been much harder to exercise since I went back to work full time in September.

Mike and I both had Friday off from work so we could prepare to go to Bear Lake. Some how, it took us all day to pack and we didn't leave until 3:30 or 4:00. That is never good for a drive as long as we had. By the time we made it to Logan, we decided to stop for dinner. We ate a Chili's, it was fine, but took a long time, and we probably should have just ate fast food and got up to the lake. While in Logan, I had to stop and check-in to the race. I was disappointed with their shirts and their registration packets.

By the time we got to the lake it was dark, and the kids were done. We spent the next hour being mad. Elina cried, the kids whined, and Mike and I were angry as we put up the tents. That really made the trip a pain.

We had a girls tent and a boys tent. Elina woke up in the middle of the night to eat. Emma woke up too and announced she needed to go potty. So, after feeding Elina, the three of us went to the bathroom. Oh the joys.

The day of the race went much better (for me). Poor Mike had to deal with the kids, and they really struggled that day with listening. I believe that Ashton spent 30 minutes of my race in time out (standing next to dad). I got up and ate breakfast, fed the baby and got ready. I went over to my race, and was the last person to set up in my row for transition. I should have gotten there a little earlier, but after the night before, you can only do what you can do. I was having a hard time getting my wetsuit zipped up when I realized it zipped from the top down, and someone would have to help me. So, I headed down to the beach to find some help.

I was able to find the family and Mike got some pictures of me before I started my race.

Me and Elina before the race

This race was a beach start, and I decided that was a real pain. It's hard to run out there fast. I felt like my swim was slow because so much time was trying to run out into the water and come out.

Coming out of the water

I decided this time that I would take my wetsuit off while still in the water. The beach run was a long way and I think it was easier since my wetsuit was off. The race last year had some water we could rinse our feet off in, that would have been nice, but oh well.

Leaving the transition area starting the bike

Then it was time to bike. It was fun to bike on my own bike this year and not a rental. I still feel like I struggle with the bike (next year I think I need a computer that shows cadence). I passed a few people, and let a few people pass me, and did a little of each (trading back and forth). I did this years bike in 42 minutes (I did it in 40 minutes last year).

Transitioning to the run

Finally, it was time for the run. Unfortunately after I transitioned, I had to take a quick potty break before I ran. Oh well. Then I started the run. I was just behind Holly (who was doing the Olympic tri with Kristi). I watch Holly run further and further away from me until she was out of sight. My run wasn't the fastest, but wasn't terrible. Just like the bike, I pasted a couple people and a couple passed me. I ran the course in 30 minutes (I did it in 28 last year).

Finishing

But in the end, I finished the race just 4 months after having a baby. I did it in 1 hour and 34 minutes. Last year my fastest time was 1 hour and 30 minutes. So, I don't feel all that bad. I finished 4 out of 13 in my age group, and 22 overall, so, I was pleased.

Post race with kids

After the race we did a BBQ with the Morgan's and the Gonzales'. We let the kids play and have a good time. Then cleaned up and headed home.

3 comments:

rabidrunner said...

That's awesome! Way to go!

Kikal said...

You are so tough! Three kids, full time work and a triathlon...you are wonderwoman.

Melinda said...

I am beyond impressed that you completed a triathlon with an infant. You RULE!