Can you believe it, Ashton is the big 5. He's now old enough to start kindergarten. It's a good thing that it's still awhile off, I think I would cry. He really is becoming such a big boy. The other day he got out the milk and wanted to show me he could pour it by himself.
Ashton's birthday was on a Sunday this year. Mike's parents were up for some other things on Saturday, so they stopped by to drop off a present for Ashton. Ashton loved it, and I always think it's nice to spread out his birthday a little bit.
We usually invite family over for cake and ice cream but decided against it. Before church, I allowed him to open one present. Next, we went to church (Ashton got to be the super singer in primary), we came home and had lunch, and then watched a movie. Around 5:00 Cassidy and Nate came by. I was making cookie dough when they came. So, once I was finished, Ashton opened his presents and then we had cake and ice cream. Emma was having a hard time realizing that it was Ashton's birthday, and they were Ashton's presents. She kept thinking (or wishing) some were for her. She had several come aparts that day. But Ashton was nice and let her help open presents.
Ashton's a bit of a silly kid - he doesn't like cake. He wanted a Transformers cake for his birthday, so I got him one, but he didn't want to eat any of it "No thanks" he told Mike when he gave him a piece. So, Ashton had a root beer float, and then I made him some cookies. I think he had a good day. He even got to play Candyland with Cassidy and Nate before they left.
About 7:30 that night we ate dinner. What a terrible mom I am for letting my kids eat cake for dinner!! Oh well, I figure that if it's not every day, they should be okay.
I made the cookies so that Ashton could take them to Preschool and to the Cindy's (the baby sitter's) to share with his friends. They were a hit. On Monday I got to take Ashton to preschool and talk about him. We had filled out a poster about him (with pictures) so that we could share somethings about Ashton with the other kids. He was so happy. But he wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to stay for all of preschool - "your gonna go, right mom?".
Here's a slide show showing some of Ashton's birthday.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Brinley's getting to 5 years old too! She'll be going to Kindergarten this coming Fall!! Crazy we have kids that old!
Being the Primary Choister...what's the super singer thing? If he likes it so much, maybe I should try it out!
I approve of letting your kids eat cake for dinner! What are birthdays for if not for that?!
I'm so glad he's growing up. I like 5 year old boys. And six year olds are good too. But it is hard when they don't really fit in your lap anymore and they have such a life of their own that you are not really in on. Very sad.
I also have to say that the milk pouring is scary. I wasn't sure what kind of encouragement/ discouragement to give my kids when they have each tried it.
And Candyland- ours is well used. Great game. (Except when Caroline draws the gingerbread man or someone ELSE besides her draws Princess Frostine.)
I have given my kids cake for breakfast a few times. Lets be honest though..how much different is it really from donuts or sweet rolls? I refuse to feel guilty for doing that sort of thing once and a while.
I didn't know we had boys the same age. Lincoln will be 5 next month. I love the the age of 5. They are more grown up but they are still so darn cute.
Post a Comment