I know I am terribly behind on the blog. I will try and keep them in order, since this is my journal. But really, it's super hard to blog this long after the fact. Note to self, stay caught up on the blog!!!
Mike and Emma's marshmallow face.
Anyway, our fourth of July festivities began on Friday, July 2. Mike's parents and siblings were in town and staying at his hotel. We met up with them for dinner, and then Gavin came to stay the night at our house. That night Quinn and Logan came over and watched a movie with Mike.
I started putting the kids to bed around 10:00. I had them start to be quite. Then at 11:00 I went down and put them in Ashton's room and reminded them to be quite and go to sleep about 20 minutes later. After the movie Mike said he had been down to check on them. They were talking quietly. So, Mike and I went to sleep and didn't think much about it. At one point, I swore I heard kid feet in the kitchen but didn't think much about it (I found out they were up grabbing about 10 slices of bread to snack on). At 6:00 a.m. when I heard feet, I went to check it out. I found Gavin awake playing with legos. I scolded him (I think he thought I was crazy) and made him go back to bed. I found Emma asleep in front of the TV, and I thought I saw Ashton there too. Come to find out, when I put Gavin to bed at 6:00 a.m., that was the first time he went to bed. He had been awake all night. Ashton was actually upstairs asleep on the couch. He had been so tired, he choose to sleep away from the others.
We were going to go to a neighborhood parade that morning, but the kids were so tired, that I didn't bother. Mike had to work on Saturday, which is when we do stuff with his family. He was able to come and visit at the family party for a few minutes. It was great to see the family, and fun to ignore the kids.
On the 4th of July, we went camping. We left after church to go up to Electric Lake. It was way cold up there. I guess that morning they woke up to snow. I was not prepared for it to be that cold. Normally, the boys sleep in one tent and the girls sleep in another. But it was too cold to separate, so we all slept in one tent.
It was an interesting camping trip. But I think Ashton and Emma has a great time, which really is the point. We did roasted hot dogs for dinner for the kids, Mike and I had foil dinners. Then we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. We all loved that. I sent Elina to the car to fall asleep.
Ashton is a true boy and we couldn't keep him away from the fire.
Emma is such a goof, she and I laughed when we saw this picture.
Elina was put to bed first in her carseat.
It was really hard with Elina. She is used to sleeping in a crib where she can sleep against something, but she really couldn't do that in the tent. Mike had to sleep on the ground, me and the other kids shared the big queen size mattress with Elina sleeping at our heads. Elina she woke up at 2:00 am. and cried for about 20 minutes. At which point Emma woke up and had to go potty and Ashton was awake complaining about being cold. It was a long night. I vowed not to camp again till next summer!!
Elina still couldn't walk, which was a blessing and a curse. She wanted down, but then you had to help her walk, and you really couldn't just plop her down and walk away. Here' Mike trying to keep her entertained.
Mike just laughed when I bought Elina out in this. He called her an umpa-lumpa, or purple patrick star. But it kept her warm.
The next day, Mike and were ready to pack up and go home. But being the great parents we are, we entertained some fishing. But we were slow getting there, and missed all the action. We didn't even get a bite. After about an hour of poor fishing, we packed up and went home. Mike and I were so ready.
Oh well, here's to the memories!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am just as behind in blogging as you are. I skipped a bunch that I need to go back to. We never got camping done this summer. That is very unusual for us! We can totally relate to the baby thing. Camping with small children is hard! After we go, we always say we won't do it again until the kids are older, but we always do! I am sorry it was so cold, but it looks like you had fun!
Sounds so much fun!!! Great memories.
Post a Comment