Tuesday, March 24, 2009

From Shorts to Ski Jackets

Wow, did we have a vacation!!!

UVU was off on Friday for Spring Break, so Mike decided to take that weekend off to, and because we wanted it to feel like a vacation we both took Monday off as well. We left for Price Thursday after Mike was done with work. I feed the kids, bought some sandwiches for us, and spent some time on Wednesday trying to get us packed so that we would be ready to go on Thursday when I got home from work. That night we stayed in Price. We did get to see Paul and Mindy's new baby - Apsen. She is so cute!!! And such a nice baby, if only I could be so lucky!

Sweet Baby Aspen

Friday morning we left for Goblin Valley by 11:00. It really isn't a bad drive and has some really interesting scenery. When we got to Goblin Valley we did a quick look at how many people were camping, and then drove into the park. First on the agenda - eat lunch. Then we spent the next hour or so playing in the Goblin's. The kids thought it was so cool. Emma was a baby last time we came and Ashton was two-years-old.

Some scenery on the drive down (I took it while we were moving so it is a little blurry)


Resting

I'm the king of the world!

Mom look at me!

After playing we decided to set up camp. But more people had come. We got an okay spot, but not quite what we had hoped for. That night we ate foil dinners. The kids really wanted a fire (even though I didn't bring marshmallows) so we used the charcoal to start a fire and burned the few big logs at our camping spot. The kids thought it was great. That night the kids also got their very own head lamps. That night Emma and I slept in one tent (with the queen size air mattress) and Ashton and Mike slept in the small tent with the Ridge Rests. I slept okay, but I don't think Mike slept great.

Saturday morning after lunch and hanging out we hiked Little Wild Horse Canyon (or at least some of it). Besides the little come apart with Emma in the beginning, the kids did really well. I was quite tired by the time we made it back to the car. But that hike is just so cool - I didn't want to miss it. I was sure glad Mike was willing to make lunch.

The Ashton Bridge (we went through several "bridges" formed by other groups)

Look how narrow it gets

See, I really did hike

Before we went, I had found another hike online so that we would have something else to do if we wanted to. We went in search of that hike. We were able to find it (at least where the hike would go), but the kids refused to hike anymore. And I was so tired. It also said there was little to no shade on the hike and I was not looking forward to that.

So, instead we did what the kids wanted to do, and went back to play in the Goblin's. That is when the weather began to get really windy. And it didn't take long for me to be done playing in the Goblin's. The kids handed me the keys and I went back to the car to rest, and Mike took the kids on an adventure. They had a great time, and I was fine back in the car.


Mike and the kids after their climb

Look how high and far they got (if you zoom in on the picture you can see the parking lot above Ashton's head)

Once the family came back, it had gotten very windy. At that point we decided we should head back to Price. That it wouldn't be very fun to be in the dust all night, and we weren't going to do anything in the morning other than get up and leave. So, we took down camp and drove to Price. Mike's parents were gone till much later that night. We made the dinner we were going to make camping, and that was that. To tell you the truth, it was so nice to get back and shower. My skin was so dry. And I was still sick with my sinus infection. There were weeds making my allergies go crazy and I just wasn't getting any better, I was miserable.

On Sunday we left around 1:00. Once home, we unpacked, repacked, cleaned car. My job was the unpacking and repacking. Mike was in charge of cleaning the car. We left around 5:00 and drove to Park City (we had made reservations on Thursday night to stay at the Marriott Mountainside Resort. We ate dinner, and than went swimming. They have several hot tubs, and some are almost as big as a pool. So we swam in the hot tub in the snow. I love that - it's awesome.


Enjoying the suite

Mike and the kids

Awesome view

Monday, we got up and left hotel room around 11:30. We shopped at outlets (did the kids summer shopping - mostly Emma, she needed a ton of new stuff). After our shopping spree, we left the outlets and ate lunch (at 2:30) at the Train Depot/ Dairy Keen in Heber. The kids love that place. Then at long last, we had to come home. The kids were sad, but it makes me feel good that they had a vacation they loved. That is what I really wanted.

6 comments:

Karyn said...

Way to get some posts up Andrea! Boy, you have had a busy last little while. I guess you do need to get the trips in though before the baby comes. Goblin Valley looks like fun. We will have to try that one out some day. I am glad that we got to spend some time out together. It is always fun! I want to see how the old fashioned pictures of your kids turned out! They sound cute! Only 3 more weeks. Are you ready for your life to change again?

smiths said...

Looks like a great vacation! I am glad you had so much fun.

Cass said...

holy vacation! Both places looked like you guys had a ton of fun. what a great idea to get a couple of vacations in before the baby arrives. thanks for coming to the blessing! you are more than welcome to come hold Bridge anytime.

Melinda said...

I don't know if I'd hike that pregnant. I'm impressed!

Missy said...

I thought that was going to be your baby!! Not yet!
What a fun vacation! We did that exact same one (to Goblin Valley and Little White Horse) about 2 years ago. Kids just love the goblins!

Cynthia said...

What a fun vacation...I love hot tubbing in the snow (except when you have to get out). Goblin Valley is so much fun, those look like cool trails, we missed that while we were there, looks like I need to talk to you the next time we go. Glad you and the fam had a blast!